The Pilates for MS™ Textbook
Although a book is no substitute for learning to work with the MS population directly through the experts teaching our workshops, we understand that many of you are unable to travel to a destination workshop. You might be already working with clients with MS and other neurological conditions without any guidance, having mixed results, or wondering where to start. What better reference than a book written by a long time teacher of fitness and student of neuroscience who actually understands MS first-hand?
This reference guide is an overview targeted to Pilates teachers, experienced fitness trainers, and physical therapists. Persons with MS can also benefit from this textbook, filled with information Mariska wishes she had when she was first diagnosed.
The Pilates for MS™ Textbook is the same manual used in Mariska’s acclaimed Specialist in Exercise for MS training course, and includes 309 pages of information and over 250 exercises that are applicable for nearly all neurological diseases and spinal cord injuries.
Buy the textbook for $249 today, and get $249 off the full course if you can attend a workshop in the U.S. in the future**.
Mariska is also available for Skype consults. Her consultation fee is $125/hour (multi-hour session discounts are available). Email her to schedule.
The book contains:
- 309 pages, full color, spiral-bound.
- Overview of the MS disease process, symptoms, and the science behind how and when to exercise for different symptoms.
- 250 exercises, divided by level – appropriate for students attempting rehab from significant disability to newly diagnosed who want to prevent disability or worsening of symptoms (and everyone in between)
- Exercises using mat, small ball, stability ball, theraband, as well as Pilates magic circle, reformer, Cadillac, Wunda chair, and barrels.
- A complete list of common medications, treatments, and their side effects that may impact an exercise program.
- Detailed explanations of how to work with balance difficulty, gait issues, weakness, hemiparesis,bladder/bowel problems, spasticity, and other common neurological symptoms.
- Introduction to the science of Neuroplasticity and ways to integrate it into a training program.
- Comprehensive reference guides for determining cause of balance problems, assessing spasticity, assessing muscle weakness, program outlines, new student forms, and more.
**We are not able to offer workshop discount outside of the United States. Please direct your questions regarding textbook sales and workshop availability here.
No teacher will be endorsed without having attended the full training program. The Pilates for MS™ course itself includes continuously updated information, additional exercises, and scientific research, as well as guided teaching practice and case study work.
All material on this website and in the accompanying textbook is copyrighted. If you would like to host a course, contact us. If you would like to use portions of the book in a course of your own, contact us to discuss.
Note that Pilates for MS is not a substitute for care or treatment by a medical professional or physical therapist. If you are a patient, please consult with your doctor before beginning any exercise.